This year was hard from a personal and work point of view, which impacted the amount of Free Software bits I ended up doing - even when I had the time I often wasn’t in the right head space to make progress on things. However writing this annual recap up has been a useful exercise, as I achieved more than I realised. For previous years see 2019, 2020, 2021 + 2022.


The only Free Software related conference I made it to this year was DebConf23 in Kochi, India. Changes with projects at work meant I couldn’t justify anything work related. This year I’m planning to make it to FOSDEM, and haven’t made a decision on DebConf24 yet.


Most of my contributions to Free software continue to happen within Debian.

I started the year working on retrogaming with Kodi on Debian. I got this to a much better state for bookworm, with it being possible to run the bsnes-mercury emulator under Kodi using RetroArch. There are a few other libretro backends available for RetroArch, but Kodi needs some extra controller mappings packaged up first.

Plenty of uploads were involved, though some of this was aligning all the dependencies and generally cleaning things up in iterations.

I continued to work on a few packages within the Debian Electronics Packaging Team. OpenOCD produced a new release in time for the bookworm release, so I uploaded 0.12.0-1. There were a few minor sigrok cleanups - sigrok 0.3, libsigrokdecode 0.5.3-4 + libsigrok 0.5.2-4 / 0.5.2-5.

While I didn’t manage to get the work completed I did some renaming of the ESP8266 related packages - gcc-xtensa-lx106 (which saw a 13 upload pre-bookworm) has become gcc-xtensa (with 14) and binutils-xtensa-lx106 has become binutils-xtensa (with 6). Binary packages remain the same, but this is intended to allow for the generation of ESP32 compiler toolchains from the same source.

onak saw 0.6.3-1 uploaded to match the upstream release. I also uploaded libgpg-error 1.47-1 (though I can claim no credit for any of the work in preparing the package) to help move things forward on updating gnupg2 in Debian.

I NMUed tpm2-pkcs11 1.9.0-0.1 to fix some minor issues pre-bookworm release; I use this package myself to store my SSH key within my laptop TPM, so I care about it being in a decent state.

sg3-utils also saw a bit of love with 1.46-2 + 1.46-3 - I don’t work in the storage space these days, but I’m still listed as an uploaded and there was an RC bug around the library package naming that I was qualified to fix and test pre-bookworm.

Related to my retroarch work I sponsored uploads of mgba for Ryan Tandy: 0.10.0+dfsg-1, 0.10.0+dfsg-2, 0.10.1+dfsg-1, 0.10.2+dfsg-1, mgba 0.10.1+dfsg-1+deb12u1.

As part of the Data Protection Team I responded to various inbound queries to that team, both from project members and those external to the project.

I continue to keep an eye on Debian New Members, even though I’m mostly inactive as an application manager - we generally seem to have enough available recently. Mostly my involvement is via Front Desk activities, helping out with queries to the team alias, and contributing to internal discussions as well as our panel at DebConf23.

Finally the 3 month rotation for Debian Keyring continues to operate smoothly. I dealt with 2023.03.24, 2023.06.26, 2023.06.29, 2023.09.10, 2023.09.24 + 2023.12.24.


I had a few minor patches accepted to the kernel this year. A pair of safexcel cleanups (improved error logging for firmware load fail and cleanup on load failure) came out of upgrading the kernel running on my RB5009.

The rest were related to my work on repurposing my C.H.I.P.. The AXP209 driver needed extended to support GPIO3 (with associated DT schema update). That allowed Bluetooth to be enabled. Adding the AXP209 internal temperature ADC as an iio-hwmon node means it can be tracked using the normal sensor monitoring framework. And finally I added the pinmux settings for mmc2, which I use to support an external microSD slot on my C.H.I.P.

Personal projects

2023 saw another minor release of onak, 0.6.3, which resulted in a corresponding Debian upload (0.6.3-1). It has a couple of bug fixes (including a particularly annoying, if minor, one around systemd socket activation that felt very satisfying to get to the bottom of), but I still lack the time to do any of the major changes I would like to.

I wrote listadmin3 to allow easy manipulation of moderation queues for Mailman3. It’s basic, but it’s drastically improved my timeliness on dealing with held messages.

This year only involved a single upstream related submission; a fix for tpm_tis interrupts with the Lenovo P620 that then got dropped when the change that caused the issue was reverted.

That wraps up 2023. I’ve got no particular goals for this year; looking around my desk I’ve a few ARM based devices I’d like to get running a mainline kernel. I need to play about a bit more with the retroarch bits (if I really had time I’d do the migration for Kodi to PCRE2, as that’s currently causing testing migration issues), perhaps getting some more controller mappings packaged. But no promises.