This is a very slight adaptation of a recipe from Kumud Shah's Quick After-Work Indian Vegetarian Cookbook - I've reduced the amount of oil, among other things. Also, I don't like asafoetida, so I've left it as optional. It's nice without. Measure out all the spices before you begin.
1. Peel and chop the onion. Peel the tomatoes if you wish, then chop them finely (I don't think it's worth peeling them - the pieces of skin should be very tiny in the finished dish). Drain the chickpeas and rinse them well.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and add the cumin and asafoetida (if using). Stir, then add the onion. Cook, stirring, until the onion is browned - if it begins to stick, add a small amount of water and unstick it.
3. Add the spinach and tomato, and stir for 3 minutes.
4. Add the salt, chilli powder, dhana jheera, amchoor (if using), sugar and tamarind sauce or lime juice. Stir in the chickpeas and water, then cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes more.
5. When water is gone, and the thick green sauce sticks to the chickpeas, the dish is ready.
Kake's (Vegan) Cookery Site - http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/
This page added some time in 1998 - comments and questions to Kake L Pugh (email@example.com).