This is nice and smooth but with chunky bits - like the ones in jars with added vegetables.
1. Deseed the peppers, cut them into quarters and grill, skin side up, until the skin has puffed up all over and they are beginning to blacken. Keep an eye on them, and move them around to cook them evenly. Remove from the grill and place in a dish or tub. Cover (with the lid, or a plate, or something) and leave to cool.
2. Meanwhile, finely chop the onion and garlic if using. Heat a pan and add the oil. Add the onions and garlic and stir. Cover with a lid and stew, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until softened.
3. While the onions are cooking, slice the mushrooms, halving them first if they are large. After 5 minutes add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes, until the mushrooms have released their juices.
4. Add the passata and stir well. Bring to a simmer over a low heat, and cook, uncovered, at a simmer.
5. When the peppers have cooled, peel them and discard the skin. Slice into thin strips and add to the passata. Cut the sundried tomatoes into strips with a pair of scissors and add to the pan.
6. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the basil and simmer 2 minutes more.
7. Serve over pasta or rice. Freezes well.
Kake's (Vegan) Cookery Site - http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/
This page added 23 Oct 1997 (last altered 16 Jul 1999) - comments and questions to Kake L Pugh (email@example.com).