[OSS Oxon] FW: Little Marlow Sewage Treatment Update 24 May 2013

Chris D seedy at breakingglass.net
Fri May 24 18:35:11 BST 2013

Latest info as of today..

CD

From: WT Enquiries [mailto:WTenquiries at environment-agency.gov.uk]
Sent: 24 May 2013 16:26
To: WT Enquiries
Subject: Little Marlow Sewage Treatment Update 24 May 2013

Dear Sir/Madam

Yesterday we received calls from members of the public concerned about
further sewer debris on the river downstream of Little Marlow sewage
treatment works.  Our own monitoring equipment also detected abnormal levels
of solids in the final treated effluent.   My officers attended the site
last night and are there again today to establish what is happening and to
collect evidence.

At this stage, we believe the debris was released in to the river as a
consequence of Thames Water cleaning out one of the settlement tanks on
site.  Thames Water's managers have instructed the cleaning work to stop and
have employed contractors to clean up debris from the river.

We appreciate the public's frustration with the ongoing problems at the
sewage treatment works.  We are scrutinising Thames Water very closely and
putting pressure on them to restore normal operation of the STW.  We have
opened our incident room today to manage our response and have extra staff
on duty to respond to any further problems 24 hours a day.

We will continue to send updates when we have more information or the
situation changes.

Regards,

Helen Page

Environment Management Team Leader

Land & Water, Thame & Upper Thames Valley

West Thames Area

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally
privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the
sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to
under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.
Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency
address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient,
for business purposes.