[E3-hacking] Amstrad E3 support status for 2.6.32

Janusz Krzysztofik jkrzyszt at tis.icnet.pl
Sun Nov 15 14:43:32 GMT 2009

Hi,

Just a few updates.

Friday 13 November 2009 05:14:14 Janusz Krzysztofik wrote:

> Compared to that old 2.6.16-omap1 with ams_delta patches, 2.6.32 mainline
> kernel ... doesn't
> provide a driver for LCD contrast and backlight setting,

Actually, it's possible to turn the backlight off/on. Try using

	setterm -blank [force|poke] </dev/tty1
or
	echo [4|0] >/sys/class/graphics/fb0/blank

or arrange for auto powerdown while blanking with:

	setterm -powersave powerdown </dev/tty1

> ... The hook switch state can be
> simply detrmined by examining /sys/class/gpio/gpio4/value file contents, it
> also generates regular input events over the /dev/input/event1 device
> interface.

I was told by the input subsystem maintainer, Dmitry Torokhov, that
applications should use EVIOCGSW ioctl to query the initial state of
switches. Sadly, there is no utiliti available for doing this from scripts.
Thanks to ASoC subsystem maintainer, Mark Brown, I managed to get the hook
switch (as well as other GPIO-based ASoC jacks found on other boards) being
exported over gpiolib sysfs for debugging purposes.

> The kernel with ams_delta_defconfig applied supports both old
> distributions, like Familiar that E3_release_v2 was based on, and new, like
> Angstrom, that may require EABI + Thumb instructions turned on.

If you are using OpenEmbedded (like me) for building the kernel, please note
that simply using a copy of the kernel arch/arm/config/ams_delta_defconfig
source file as defconfig for linux.bb recipe may give a different result,
with support for old ABI possibly missing. The resulting kernel may not be
usable for old install-initrd. To get old ABI compatible kernel, I run:

	bitbake -c clean linux
	bitbake -c configure linux

then from the kernel sources root:

	ARCH=arm make ams_delta_defconfig

and finally (while back in OpenEmbedded build root):

	bitbake -c compile linux

Thanks,
Janusz