[E3-hacking] Amstrad E3 support status for 2.6.32

Janusz Krzysztofik jkrzyszt at tis.icnet.pl
Fri Nov 13 04:14:14 GMT 2009

Hi,

The kernel release 2.6.32 is almost out. I have just downloaded and tested
2.6.32-rc7 successfully (I hope there will be no more fixes required).

After unpacking it, I run:

	ARCH=arm make ams_delta_defconfig

then build the kernel in a usual way.

Using old E3_release_v2.tar.gz with uImage replaced with the one just built
(arch/arm/boot/uImage), I was able to boot the machine, log into the
install-initrd, both from ttyS0 and framebuffer console, get access to a USB
stick, verify on-board flash is accessible. I did not proceed with
ams_delta_install, but I think it would run without problems.

Compared to that old 2.6.16-omap1 with ams_delta patches, 2.6.32 mainline
kernel doesn't yet support the detachable keyboard (mailboard) and doesn't
provide a driver for LCD contrast and backlight setting, but it has LED
support introduced in 2.6.17. There is still no support for the camera (it
was present once in 2.6.19). Full framebuffer/LCD driver, frozen in the OMAP
tree for a long time, finally found it's wat into the mainline.

Old sound driver has been replaced with a new one, ASoC based. Both ALSA and
OSS interface are fully usable. The new driver supports full duplex and
handset/speakerphone switching using the hook switch and/or a mixer control.
To get those features working, ldattach utility (sadly not present on the old
initramfs) must be used in order to load a line discipline #19 onto the modem
line (has been moved to ttyS3). The hook switch state can be simply detrmined
by examining /sys/class/gpio/gpio4/value file contents, it also generates
regular input events over the /dev/input/event1 device interface.

The kernel with ams_delta_defconfig applied supports both old distributions,
like Familiar that E3_release_v2 was based on, and new, like Angstrom, that
may require EABI + Thumb instructions turned on. Power management is turned
on by default with not much visible results yet.

Starting with this kernel release, the machine, equipped with a network
adapter and a suitable userspace software, can ultimately be used as an IP
phone. Personally, I use asterisk combined with lirc for the purpose.

Thanks,
Janusz