[E3-hacking] Boot from flash

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at e3.open.source.it
Sun Sep 3 19:59:54 BST 2006

On Sunday 03 September 2006 19:05, Jonathan McDowell wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 01:57:40PM +0100, Antony Stone wrote:
> >
> > 1. How do I enable the E3's keyboard/s so that I can use the ash shell
> > from there as well as (or instead of) on the end of the serial port?
>
> You need to edit /etc/inittab and ensure there's a line like:
>
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
>
> I believe the default initrd only has a getty on the serial console.

Ah, right, that did the trick - thanks :)

I'd forgotten to check something as basic as whether getty was listening - I'm
too used to distros spawning at least 6 of them that I hadn't looked here :)

> Have you looked at the E3_release_v2.tar.gz tarball in
> ftp://the.earth.li/pub/e3/ ? It's not 100% reliable, but I've had a few
> reports of success from people.

Yes, I found that whilst poking around in my downloads this afternoon, and I
can confirm that:

a) it works fine for me too (on an E3 bought in March from Tesco, and never
plugged into a phone line)

b) the time taken to write the NAND backup to the USB drive was much less than
the README or the on-screen instructions suggested - just a few minutes in
total

Now I just need to buy a few USB Ethernet adapters to get the E3s plugged in
to the world sensibly :)

Well done with the project, and thanks for your help (and thanks for the UKUUG
talk, too, by the way).

Antony.

--
One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.