[E3-hacking] Boot from flash

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Sun Sep 3 19:05:06 BST 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 01:57:40PM +0100, Antony Stone wrote:

> I have two questions:
>
> 1. How do I enable the E3's keyboard/s so that I can use the ash shell
> from there as well as (or instead of) on the end of the serial port?
>
> (I've tried changing the kernel boot arguments from "console=tty0
> console=ttyS0,115200n8" to "console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0"; I've
> tried just "console=tty0" and I've tried no console definition at
> all.)

You need to edit /etc/inittab and ensure there's a line like:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

I believe the default initrd only has a getty on the serial console.

> 2. Now that I know I have a 2.6.27 kernel which works on the machine,
> is there a way to load this into the onboard flash so that the machine
> boots standalone into real Linux, instead of having to use the serial
> cable every time?

Have you looked at the E3_release_v2.tar.gz tarball in
ftp://the.earth.li/pub/e3/ ? It's not 100% reliable, but I've had a few
reports of success from people.

J.

--
   noodles is a green buckwheat    |  .''`.  Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 noodle colored and flavored with  | : :' :  Happy to accept PGP signed