[E3-hacking] sound?!

Mark Underwood basicmark at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 2 21:55:51 GMT 2006

--- David Given <dg at cowlark.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 02 March 2006 17:51, Cliff Lawson wrote:
> [...]
> > For Linux use I'm therefore gonna suggest that you are probably limited to
> > PWT and your choice of the 12 notes in each of four octaves.
>
> Back in the old BBC days I had a speech synth (Superior Software's SPEECH, and
> I've still to find a cheapo speech synth for my PC that was as good) that
> worked by playing a continuous tone on the SN76489 sound chip and then
> modulating the four-bit amplitude very quickly. Could a similar trick be done
> to wrange sampled sound out of the PWT?

I'm talking about the aic23 stero codec which the E3 seems to have 2 of ?! You don't need the DSP
either as the BSP that sends the sound samples (via I2S) can be mapped to either the DSP or the
CPU.

Thanks for the FB patch's Jonathan, but your E3_defconfig doesn't seem to have been updated to
enable the FB :-(. In fact your patchs like very much like the changes I have made (great minds
;), however, your patch (like my version) only seem only yeild a blue display on my E3 (different
hardware version?!) I'll have a play around this weekend to see if I can find you what's wrong. In
the mean time would it be possible to post your working FB config plus a kernel uImage (just to
make sure that we are running execatly the same code).

Keep on hacking :)

Mark