[E3-hacking] Cheap PL2303 cable @ Ebuyer

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed Jul 13 12:56:18 BST 2005

On Thursday 07 July 2005 15:35, Matt Evans wrote:
[...]
> That looks like a bargain!  Also - the picture's a little small but
> that looks very much like the T610 cable I have, so hopefully same
> manufacturer.  (There's a little rectangular 'pod' with a PCB inside.)
> If it is the same as the one I have then it has the advantage that it's
> not sealed into a resin glob, but there's the disadvantage that it
> needs a mod for 5V which requires soldering a tiny leg on the PL2303.

Well, I now have one. I should be getting scans of it reasonably soon. The
phone end of the cable is marked N-5100; oddly, that seems to be the only
mention of what kind of phone it's for...

The plastic box the PCB is inside has a space for a switch, marked L and R,
but there is no switch there and there are no pads on the PCB for
installation of one. I suspect someone's been saving money.

Here's the PL2303 data sheet:

http://tech.prolific.com.tw/visitor/fcabdl.asp?fid=33962507

I can't tell whether my device is set up for 5V or 3.3V; I'll just have to
plug it in and measure it. Is it known that the E2 *doesn't* work with 3.3V?
And what's the modification I need to do?

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "`Aplysia californica' is your taxonomic
+- www.cowlark.com --+ nature." --- drushel on a.f.c