[E3-hacking] Cheap PL2303 cable @ Ebuyer

Matt Evans matt at axio.ms
Wed Jul 13 14:07:50 BST 2005

Howdy David,

On 13 Jul 2005, at 12:56, David Given wrote:

> The plastic box the PCB is inside has a space for a switch, marked L
> and R,
> but there is no switch there and there are no pads on the PCB for
> installation of one. I suspect someone's been saving money.

Sounds like mine - box-wise - though the PCB is different.

> I can't tell whether my device is set up for 5V or 3.3V; I'll just
> have to
> plug it in and measure it. Is it known that the E2 *doesn't* work with
> 3.3V?
> And what's the modification I need to do?

Yeah that's probably the best way - see if TxD is 5V or 3.3V.  The real
issue isn't whether the E2 will talk at 3.3V (IIRC it /does/ work at
this voltage) but whether you'll zap the input on the PL2303 by driving
5V into a 3.3V input.

*reads datasheet, which always helps*  OK, no, you should be alright
:-)  It says the inputs are always 5V-tolerant.  So, it will probably
Just Work - cross the voltage-too-low bridge if you come to it.
(Modify the cable to run I/O at 5V rather than 3.3V if necessary.)

Good luck!

-Matt