[E3-hacking] previous amstrad emailer

Jonathan McDowell e3-hacking@earth.li
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 21:18:37 +0100

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:07:37PM +0100, paul@gamma.sbrk.co.uk wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:03:30PM +0100, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 06:39:51PM +0100, paul@gamma.sbrk.co.uk wrote:
> > > I think there is a single username and password that is common to all
> > > the amstrads. This username and password is stored in the
> > > configuration file that it starts out with and that it downloads. I'm
> > > not sure I feel comfortable in disclosing it publicly though. All the
> > > URLs it requests are also stored in the config file, i.e. the ones for
> > > registration and adverts etc.
> > > All you need to do to determine it is to set up a PPP server and get
> > > the amstrad to dial it. I'm sure you can change the registration
> > > number manually so you don't need a pbx to do this.
>
> > I couldn't figure out a way to do this; I tried setting a prefix, but it
> > didn't want to let me. Perhaps I should try harder. :)
>
> I seem to remember that if you try to register several times and
> always fail, it eventually prompts you for a new phone number. It's
> been a year since I had to do this though.

I ended up buying the FXS kit I'd been meaning to and have now got the
E3 talking to my laptop over the modem. I think I've got the firmware
update details figured out too, but I haven't yet figured out how to
make the E3 do a firmware poll or what its pattern is for doing so, so
can't be sure I have the update details right yet.

J.

--
] http://www.earth.li/~noodles/ []     We are talking one charming     [
]  PGP/GPG Key @ the.earth.li   []         motherf**king pig.          [