[E3-hacking] Quick update on E2 work

Matt Evans e3-hacking@earth.li
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:39:20 +0100

Hi David,

Urgh, housebuying... my favourite reason for procrastination.  ;)

On 13 Apr 2005, at 18:10, David Given wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure that my E2 *has* an SMC socket. There's certainly
> no metal socket soldered to the motherboard; someone suggested that it
> might be possible to insert a card and have it make contact with the
> metal tabs on the motherboard without needing a socket, but I'm not
> convinced of this. I'm still trying to scrounge one up to find it.

Sounds interesting - may almost certainly be pads for one if it's not
fitted.  Unless they respan the board and removed it.  SMC is a bit
nasty though, I can see why you'd prefer USB storage devices!

> How complex would a minimal USB stack be? Could we load data off a USB
> storage device?

I've been wondering this;  I have no experience with USB whatsoever
though.  It could be that porting something like Redboot might be a
better idea than what I'm working on ;-)  But Redboot and IIRC U-Boot
have USB support.  Of course if it's easily separable both are GPL so
we could reuse their USB stuff!  It's likely not to be too compact
though.

-Matt