[cgi-wiki-dev] How to write node with versions

Phillip Karlsson phillip at dumbrellahosting.com
Tue Jan 8 19:46:37 GMT 2008

I'm the "goats guy" who asked about this back in the day.  Although
even then I had left Goats to do this webcomics hosting thing.

I ended up just using the formatting modules, and rewriting the
portions of the other code I needed for myself, and then I (of
course) left it all half finished, because I ended up not needing an
in-house wiki for my clients.  Having about a half million other
things on my to-do list, this got left behind.  However, I still
think it'd be a nice "feature" for them, so if it gets solved, then
I'm extra happy.

There are two different problems being solved here, by varying
degrees, by two different solutions.

Problem 1 is integrating the wiki tables into an existing database,
and not having namespace collision with existing tables.

Problem 2 is having multipe wikis across one or several sites.

The two solutions being talked about are table name prefixing, and
adding a domainid column.

The name prefixing is primarily a solution to the namespace collision
problem, but can also be used as a (messy) solution to multiple wikis
in one database (different prefixes per wiki).  It just means lots of
duplicate tables in one database, which not only gives my inner-dba
the twitches, but also means that if the code is upgraded, then lots
of "the same" table need to be altered to work with upgraded code.

The domainid is a solution only to problem 2, and makes my inner-dba
much happier.

Personally, I would like _both_ of these modifications made to the
code, as then it becomes a perfect fit for me. (Multiple clients
sharing one set of tables that don't conflict with anything else in
my database.)

thanks,
-Phillip