[cgi-wiki-dev] How to write node with versions

Dominic Hargreaves dom at earth.li
Tue Jan 8 19:21:34 GMT 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 06:55:29PM +0000, Kake L Pugh wrote:
> On Mon 07 Jan 2008, abhishek jain <abhishek.netjain at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ok so i need to get this multiple domain on 1 installation thing done and
> > will start development, but if i start it will it be compatible with the
> > later / future developments of Wiki::Toolkit . Also at first sight
> > introducing a column called domainid into most if not all tables of mysql
> > looks to be a sol. and then while intialising $wiki object pass parameter
> > 'domainid', what do you have to say.
>
> Whatever the solution we choose, it needs to be backwards compatible.
> And of course any patches you make will need to have tests before we
> can accept them.  I think I prefer Jody's solution of having table
> prefixes, since it means people with existing installations won't have
> to munge their databases.

It's true that it'll need more munging, but since we have a neat way to
upgrade between database schema versions, I don't see a huge problem
with doing adding a new column to the database if it is otherwise the
best solution.

Are there occasions where we would want to fetch all nodes from the
database in one go? In that case, having multiple tables, one per
'domain' would just be inconvenient.

Are there any other similar considerations? Differing ACLs maybe? The
column method certainly feels cleaner.

Dominic.