This is my adaptation of a recipe from The Vegan Cookbook by Alan Wakeman and Gordon Baskerville. I prefer broccoli instead of the courgette (zucchini) that they use. You can replace some or all of either the broccoli or the mushrooms in my version with an equal weight of cubed courgette.
1. Chop the onion and garlic.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan over low heat and add the cumin seeds. Stir about, then add the onions and garlic and cook gently until transparent.
3. Meanwhile, chop the mushrooms and add them to the pan. Keep cooking until the mushrooms have been in for about 5 minutes.
4. Chop up the tomatoes in the can and add them with the lentils, soy sauce and 500ml water. Bring quickly to the boil and boil vigorously for 15 minutes, adding more water as necessary, until the lentils have started to break up and the mixture is thick.
5. Chop the broccoli and add it to the pan with the wine. Stir well, reduce heat and leave to simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are completely soft (about 20 minutes).
6. Season with pepper to taste, and serve.
Kake's (Vegan) Cookery Site - http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/
This page added some time in 1997 - comments and questions to Kake L Pugh (email@example.com).