No, it's not actually a hotpot, but the original recipe was. If you want to make a real hotpot, slice the potatoes (once cooked) and layer them on top of the other veg instead of mashing them. I got this recipe from the BBC Diet book, by Barry Lynch.
1. Scrub the potatoes, cut them into chunks and boil them for mashing.
2. Meanwhile, halve and slice the onion into thin half-moons. Chop the celery into chunks. Peel and chop the carrots and mixed vegetables.
3. Bring about 300ml (11 fl oz) water to boil in a large saucepan then add all the prepared vegetables, cover and simmer gently until they are cooked.
4. Drain off any water from the vegetables and mix in the baked beans, tomato puree and herbs. Season to taste, reheat and place into a warmed casserole dish.
5. When the potatoes are ready, mash them with salt and black pepper to taste, adding a little of their cooking water if needed.
6. Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the vegetable mix and place under the grill or in a preheated medium oven until the potato topping is browned. Serve at once.
Kake's (Vegan) Cookery Site - http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/
This page added some time in 1997 (last altered 26 Mar 2000) - comments and questions to Kake L Pugh (firstname.lastname@example.org).