This is very similar to "Therapeutic Vegetable Stew" in Sue Kreitzmann's Slim Cuisine Quick & Easy. I've just made the quantities a bit easier to understand and changed the ingredients a bit. If you use US cup measures then measure the vegetables after preparing them as described in the recipe.
1. Prepare the vegetables as follows:
2. Drain the tomato juice from the cans into a measuring jug. Leave the tomatoes in the cans; and make up the juice to 400ml (12 fl oz, 1 1/2 cups) with vegetable stock.
3. Put the tomato juice, vegetable stock, stock powder, chilli powder, spring onions and garlic into a large saucepan. Cover, bring to the boil and boil for 7 minutes, adding a little extra water if it looks dry.
4. Add all the prepared vegetables to the pan. Break up the reserved canned tomatoes with your fingers and add to the pan.
5. Mix well, then cover, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are almost soft. Add more water or stock if it's getting dry, and take the lid off before the end of the 10 minutes if it's a bit too wet. You want a thick sauce not a soup.
6. Add the basil, stir and cook for a few minutes more. Serve with pasta, or crusty bread, or on its own.
Kake's (Vegan) Cookery Site - http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/
This page added some time in 1997 - comments and questions to Kake L Pugh (firstname.lastname@example.org).