I got this recipe from Jacqueline, who adapted it from Joanne Stepaniak's Uncheese Cookbook. I've changed it a little bit as well. The list of ingredients may look long, but most of them are part of the herb and spice mix.
If you prefer, freeze and thaw the tofu first to give it a completely different, chewier texture. You can use any firm tofu for this recipe, though I haven't tried it with smoked. You may prefer to make this in advance - allow time to freeze and then thaw the tofu, and also I like to leave the salad in the fridge overnight for the flavours to blend, although both these steps can be omitted.
1. (Optional) Cut the block of tofu into slices ½ to 1 inch thick. Freeze the slices for a minimum of one day (a maximum of three months) and then thaw.
2. If you aren't freezing the tofu then just drain, rinse and slice.
3. Place the tofu slices on a very clean, dry tea towel and wrap the towel around the slices. Place something heavy, such as a baking dish, or a pan filled with water, on top of the towel-wrapped tofu, and allow it to sit for 30 minutes.
4. Unwrap and crumble the tofu, using a fork to mash it if necessary, until the desired texture is reached. I like it very finely mashed.
5. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well, adjusting seasonings to taste. If desired, thin with vegetable stock (Jacqueline says that thinned out it makes a really nice dip).
6. If possible, chill overnight before serving, to allow flavours to blend. Serve at room temperature.
Kake's (Vegan) Cookery Site - http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/
This page added some time in 1997 (last altered 30 Apr 1998) - comments and questions to Kake L Pugh (email@example.com).