I adapted this recipe from Soei Yoneda's Good Food from a Japanese Temple. The original recipe used soaked dried shiitake mushrooms, but I've never tried it that way.
Serves 1 - 2 as side dish
1. Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and wash them well. Mix the sake with the soy sauce in a cup.
2. Heat a dry non-stick frying pan, then add the mushrooms, gill side down. Cook for 2 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Turn the mushrooms over and cook for about 2 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until water starts to come out.
4. Pour in the sake/soy sauce mixture - it'll start to bubble furiously, but don't turn down the heat; keep stirring for 30 seconds - 1 minute, tumbling the mushrooms over, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are shrunken and well-flavoured.
5. Serve hot; or cool in pan and serve at room temperature. Can also be sliced and used to fill Thick-Rolled Sushi.
Kake's (Vegan) Cookery Site - http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/
This page added 17 Jul 1998 (last altered 22 Sep 1998) - comments and questions to Kake L Pugh (firstname.lastname@example.org).