This recipe is adapted from Sue Kreitzmann's Complete Low-Fat Cookbook. The sausages have a rather strange colour, thanks to the red wine, but are truly delicious, and they freeze well. If serving at a party, make small "bites" instead of sausages, and triple the recipe (at least).
Serves 2 - 3
1. Combine the aubergine, onion, chilli powder, garlic, wine and stock in a small frying pan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer briskly for 7 minutes. Uncover, and continue to cook, stirring, until the onion is very soft and the liquid is gone, adding a little water only if necessary to make sure the onion is cooked properly.
2. Put the aubergine mixture in a blender with the butter beans, breadcrumbs and juices. Puree until smooth and season to taste.
3. Chill the mixture in the fridge for at least an hour.
4. Meanwhile, put the breadcrumbs in the blender with the nutritional yeast and process until very fine.
5. Spread the crumbs on a plate, and drop spoonfuls of the bean mixture on top. Carefully roll around to form sausages, coated with the crumbs. Make about 10.
6. Open freeze on a bag spread on a baking sheet, or cook under the grill (broiler) for about 5 minutes on each side until browned. Be careful - they are fragile until the crust has formed. You can cook them from frozen in the same way, for slightly longer.
Kake's (Vegan) Cookery Site - http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/
This page added 28 Jan 1998 (last altered 28 May 2006) - comments and questions to Kake L Pugh (email@example.com).