This recipe is slightly adapted from the BBC Vegetarian Good Food Magazine, October 1997 issue. It's really quick to make, and very tasty. You can replace the self-raising flour in the dumplings with 2 tbsp plain wholemeal flour and 1/2 tsp baking powder.
Makes 1 generous serving
1. Peel, halve and slice the onion. Deseed and slice the pepper. Fry the onion and pepper in the oil, or saute them in vegetable stock if you prefer, until softened.
2. Add the baked beans with their sauce, the kidney beans, the stock, tomato puree and paprika. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, coarsely grate the courgette into a bowl. Add the flour and seasoning, and mix with a few teaspoons of cold water to form a soft dough.
4. Stir the beans and season to taste. Turn the heat down as low as possible. Make the dumpling dough into 2 equal-size balls and place on top of the beans.
5. Cover and cook over a low heat for 15-20 minutes, until the dumplings are cooked, stirring the beans 3 or 4 times but making sure not to disturb the dumplings.
6. Serve on its own or with some French bread to mop up the sauce.
Kake's (Vegan) Cookery Site - http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/
This page added 4 Oct 1997 - comments and questions to Kake L Pugh (firstname.lastname@example.org).