[E3-hacking] Config / content filesystem

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at e3.open.source.it
Fri Apr 26 21:31:32 BST 2019

On Friday 26 April 2019 at 22:01:29, Nick Griffin wrote:

> Ok thanks,I got my new E3 today

So, does that mean you have two now?

> and the seller told me it was working and able to make a call on it before I
> bought it and its unregistered so deactivated…

Sounds good so far...

> dam it.. ☹ ,he said to me he don’t understand how it was reset when it was
> working…???

What do you mean by "reset"?

> Its Main Software is V4 so the dial for email trick don’t work.

Please remind me what this "trick" is?

> so no point in copying the firmware

I disagree - a comparison (especially of the boot loader, not necessarily the
main software) could be instructive.

> but I am glad I have the clock back,

Be thankful for small mercies :))

> Has anyone have a idea of copying the firmware on the E1 or E2,

You mean copying the firmware for interest's sake, or with the idea of copying
from the E1/E2 to the E3?

I really doubt that E1/E2 firmware would work on an E3.  Different CPUs, for a
start.

> I have a E1 that activated too now.. 😊I don’t know how the E1/E2 E-mailers
> OS work maybe someone can explain, well it not Linux like E3 so what does it
> use..?

Remember that there was a day when people wrote firmware for devices from
scratch, without using an "operating system".  It's only since the days when
embedded devices like wireless routers, telephones, televisions etc have had
enough CPU and RAM to run Linux that this has been a simpler starting point.

> Spanner..

Why do you always write this at the end of your emails?

Regards,

Antony.

--
"If I've told you once, I've told you a million times - stop exaggerating!"

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.