[sisela] Bridge

Martin Ling sisela@earth.li
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:24:18 +0100

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:30:20AM +0200, Mikael ?sth wrote:

> Im new to this list(and fairly newbie at linux). Is there a way to install
> sisela to the harddrive of a notebook for example. Would be nice to add some
> other packages for statistic and so on.

There isn't currently a way to install Sisela to a hard drive. If
someone really wanted to do it I'd suggest starting from the source
package, adding the necessary IDE/SCSI support to the kernel
configuration, and then putting the whole FAT & SYSLINUX setup on a hard
disk partition instead of a floppy.

But *why*? There are literally hundreds of other Linux distributions
designed to install to hard drives, including dozens designed for
similar purposes as Sisela.

You *can't* add any extra packages to an installed Sisela setup.
Everything's built together so that unnecessary library code can be
taken out to save space.

The point of this project was to make the most capable networking system
that could possibly fit on a floppy. Now people keep asking for it to do
something else, when there are plenty of alternatives - mostly with more
maintenance than one busy student.

What do people like so much about Sisela?

Martin

--
http://the.earth.li/~martin/