[OSS RATS] OSS Swim the Thames #20 - Iffley Lock to Kennington - 11:00am Sunday 19th February 2012

Jeremy Wellingham jeremy at wellingham.com
Sun Feb 5 20:58:34 GMT 2012

/Ice Maidens and Ice Men of the Isis,
/

/Welcome to the season of Winter, at least for this week and who knows
for the week after next.
/

/Picking up the pace a little, but not too much, February’s swim will be
just over a kilometre at 1.2km starting where we left off at Iffley Lock
and finishing at a convenient beach adjacent to Kennington.  (This will
get us almost halfway towards Sandford Lock, which will be the aim of
the 1.5km March swim on Sun25Mar12.)
/

/Once under the road bridge, visible from Iffley Lock, that carries
Oxford's Southern Bypass, there are plenty of exits points along the way
to allow for an early escape, if the temperature is too challenging.
(January's swim was 4ºC - can't get much colder else we'll be walking on
it!)
/

//

/This swim is the first almost half of Swim 31 in Michael Worthington's
I ♥the Thames book./

/We will meet in the Health Centre car park – free parking – opposite
The Tandem pub  at 11:00am on Sunday 19^th February 2012:/

//

/http://g.co/maps/dkebh/

//

/There is a short walk from there, over the railway foot bridge, to the
river, where will check out the exit point before walking upstream to
Iffley Lock:/

//

/http://g.co/maps/gczt9
/

//

/At Iffley Lock we’ll jump in as near to the downstream side of the punt
lock that mud allows to return to our exit point here.:/

//

/http://g.co/maps/2fqgv/

//

/Returning to the cars we can then repair to The Tandem pub for a spot
of lunch:/

/http://g.co/maps/932ur

Sef & Jeremy and the Penguins and Polar Bears of the Thames

e-mail: / /oxford at outdoorswimmingsociety.com
<mailto:oxford at outdoorswimmingsociety.com> / /

OSS swim responsibility statement:
By attending you confirm that you are a member of the OSS and have read
and accepted the OSS swim responsibility statement:
http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibility
<http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibility>
All swimmers swim at their own risk./