[OSS Oxon] OSS Swim the Thames #50 and #51 - Runnymede Bell Weir Lock to Chertsey Lock via Staines Penton Hook Lock - Saturday 20 July 2013 1:00pm / Sunday 21 July 10:00am

Jeremy Wellingham jeremy at wellingham.com
Thu Jul 18 22:42:48 BST 2013

Thames Swimmers,
An epic half century, 50th swim, starting with a swim under 14 lanes of
the M25, on Saturday and under the M3 on Sunday. Practice your butterfly
- the M25 trolls will need a lot of appeasement. We are firmly within
the bounds of London now, or at least in my rural head we are, and not
far from our goal of the Teddington Obelisk. (And we are still managing
to camp out.)

*CAMPING SATURDAY 20th JULY 2013*
This weekend we have a Saturday #50 and a Sunday #51 swim, with a
camping option on the night of Saturday 20 July at Runnymede in a Thames
side garden, courtesy of http://campinmygarden.com/ at £20 per tent
single occupancy or £30 per tent double occupancy. We used this two
weeks ago and were made very welcome by Cormac. Bring food / drink to
cook on B-B-Q and prepare to invade any riverside parties from the water
under the cover of darkness.

*Please let me know if you would like to camp ASAP, so I can firm up the
booking.*

**Swim #50* SATURDAY 20 JULY 2013 1:00pm Runnymede Bell Weir Lock to
Staines Penton Hook Lock

*We'll meet here on Sat20Juk13 at 1:00pm, in the Runnymede Pleasure
grounds car park:

http://goo.gl/maps/B6mbt

(Parking is £4.50 / 3 hours or £6.00 all day.)

We'll optionally shuttle a couple of cars down to a small car park at
Egham Hythe, near the finish but on the wrong side of the river.  (But
we can swim across, right?)here:

http://goo.gl/maps/gurtx

(Small car park but free.)

Get changed, stroll down to Bell Weir Lock and jump in and swim down to
Penton Hook Lock, stopping for Elevenses on the way down. This is swim
68 in Michael Worthington's /*'I ? the Thames*'' /and is about 4.5k.

**Swim #51*SUNDAY 21st JULY 2013 10:00am Staines Penton Hook Lock to
Chertsey Lock*

We'll meet here on Sun21Jul13 at 10:00am, in Chertsey Meads car
park,Mead Lane here:

http://goo.gl/maps/6kKYh

(Free car park)

This is on the wrong side of the river so we'll have to swim over to the
other side and walk up to Penton Hook Lock, passing Chertsey Lock, jump
in and swim back down again.
This is swim 69 in Michael Worthington's /*'I ? the Thames*'' /and is
about 3.1k, so we might extend itjust past Chertsey Lock to the car park.

We'll finish off at The Jolly Gardnersagain, at Old Windsor, where we
had an excellent roast last time:

http://www.jollygardeners.com/

Sef and Jeremy

By joining any jolly jaunt with Jeremy and Sef you agree to abide by the
Outdoor Swimming Society's Swim Responsibility Statement:

http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibility

Before signing up to join the OSS or partaking in any swims mentioned on
this site or the Outdoor Swimming Society facebook page, please read the
OSS swim responsibility statement. By signing up to join the society, or
participating in any swims, or using any material on the Wild swim map
you confirm that you have read and understand the OSS swim
responsibility statement and accept its terms.