[OSS Oxon] Swim 24

Katie Smith kiffsmiff at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 19 18:51:08 BST 2012

Afternoon all

I've come on a couple of OSS Oxon swims, and always loved them.  I think it's a cracking thing to do. I also live on a narrowboat.

Today, I just happened to moor up in Abingdon & saw a few of you getting ready in the car park. Then spotted a few of you in the water, coming through the bridge with the flow.

As a boater, it scared me rigid!  Those in the water were coming through the centre of the bridge (one even floating on their back, head first, looking upstream!).  If I'd have been chugging upstream there is a fairly good chance I'd not have spotted you. I'd also have been struggling against a fairly strong flow, and should you have been near my bow, there'd probably be very little evasive action I could have taken, narrowboats aren't very easily manoeuvrable!  I'm not the only boater out there, a lot of people hire boats and may have less experience of how to control the boat they're on than me.

All I'm trying to say is please please be extra careful & aware around structures, corners & popular spots.

I hope none of you mind me emailing this, it is meant as a caring reminder, not a lecture!

Thanks
Katie