[OSS Oxon] UPDATE: OSS Swim the Thames #30 - South Stoke to Gatehampton (Almost) - 10:00am Sunday 15 July

Jeremy Wellingham jeremy at wellingham.com
Sat Jul 14 19:26:50 BST 2012

            OSS Swim the Thames spy at Wallingford reports that the flow
            is strong but the water is running smoothly. The river
            levels have dropped since yesterday, according to the EA
            measurements at Days, Cleeve and Goring locks. The weirs at
            the two locks we are swimming past are both down stream of
            the locks, so pose less of a threat. The bridge at Goring
            has wide spans so is also less of a threat than some of the
            older more constrained bridges we have been through. We have
            a reasonable wide beach to exit from (at least it looks so
            from Google earth). So on balance I think it is worth
            turning up for the swim. Worse case is we don't like the
            look of it tomorrow, we don't pass Go or collect ?200 and we
            head straight to the pub!

            Don't forget the OSS Swim Responsibility statement and
            please make your own assessment of the river conditions -
            there, H&S lecture finished.

OSS swim responsibility statement:

By attending you confirm that you are a member of the OSS and have read
and accepted the OSS swim responsibility statement:

http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibility

All swimmers swim at their own risk.

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow.
Jeremy Wellingham