[OSS Oxon] OSS Swim the Thames #30 - South Stoke to Gatehampton (Almost) - 10:00am Sunday 15 July

Jeremy Wellingham jeremy at wellingham.com
Wed Jul 11 22:23:01 BST 2012

Yo! Thames Surfers,

Hang Ten this Sunday and go with the rip. With the Thames in full spate
we continue with our current assisted swims and have another 4.9km
(feels like 3km!) swim from South Stoke almost to Gatehampton. (We need
to pace ourselves for the next stretch which will finish in Pangbourne.)
Swim number 30 -- is it really that many since we started at Easter last
year? -- will be a momentous milestone as we will cross the half way
mark shortly after starting on our non-tidal Thames journey from the
Source to Teddington. Look out for performances of Thames Barrier and
Falange of Boboons to mark the occasion. We will also be swimming
through the famous Goring Gap via Cleeve Lock (keep to the right) and
then Goring Lock (keep to the the left). Walkers will start along the
Ridgeway at South Stoke on the left bank and will join the Thames path
at Goring, which crosses the river to the left bank to meet the Ridgeway
and the ancient Icknield Way. Goring was a major crossing point of the
Thames in ancient times. This swim isswim 43,44 and some of 45 in the /I
♥ the Thames/ book.

*Sunday 15 July 2012 at 10:00am South Stoke*

We will meet at swim entry point at the end of Ferry Lane in South Stoke
at, where there is limited parking (Green Arrow marks the spot):

http://goo.gl/maps/fx8N

Parking will also be available at the Perch and Pike, where we will be
lunching afterwards, which is a 5-10 minute walk away from the start
point at the end of Ferry Lane (Green Arrow marks the spot):

http://goo.gl/maps/OF23

We will swim down to just *before* Brunel's Great Western Gatehampton
Viaduct (A bridge with several equally spaced arches for the less
pretentious.) We will exit at the beach on the left(Green Arrow marks
the spot):

http://goo.gl/maps/8x2q

and walk back along the Thames path and Ferry Lane in Goring to cars
that we have shuttled down to the car park in Goring (Or we may be able
to move a car down to the end of Ferry Lane)(Green Arrow marks the spot):

http://goo.gl/maps/T1GO

And shuttle back to the Perch and Pike for Lunch

*NB Please let me know if you would like to stay for lunch so I can
confirm the numbers with the pub.*

Sef, Jeremy and the Falange of Bobboons of the Thames Barrier

OSS swim responsibility statement:

By attending you confirm that you are a member of the OSS and have read
and accepted the OSS swim responsibility statement:

http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibility

All swimmers swim at their own risk.