[OSS Oxon] OSS Swim the Thames #15 - Cassington Cut to Kings Lock - Sun09Oct11 at 10:30am Trout Inn Godstow / Lower Wolvercote

Jeremy Wellingham jeremy at wellingham.com
Sun Oct 2 19:59:29 BST 2011

/The weather's lovely and may still be lovely next Sunday as we push on
towards Oxford, hopefully arriving at the outskirts at Port Meadow by
the end of October and before the first snow.  In this penultimate leg
to our intermediate goal of Oxford we will be swimming from Cassington
Cut to Kings lock, both locations are a bit out in the sticks so we will
have a pre-swim warm up walk, followed by the swim and concluding with a
post swim warm down walk. This corresponds to the remainder of swim #27
in Michael Worthington's book, 'I Love the Thames' and will be around 3km.

We're meeting in the car park of the Trout Inn at Godstow / Lower
Wolvercote at 10:30am on Sunday 9th October 2011 - Green Arrow marks the
spot:

http://g.co/maps/6k5ub

>From there we will walk along the Oxford Greenbelt Way that conveniently
cuts the corner of the meandering Thames, skirts the Wytham Great Wood
and joins the Thames path at our entry point opposite the Cassington
Cut. Getting in here (another green arrow):

http://g.co/maps/2wghd

(Need to scroll north to find green arrow due to the vagaries of Google
Maps remote locations.)

We will pass the joining of the Evenlode tributary - will there be a
cooling effect?

If we continue to have the logistical support of our excellent bank side
crew we can stop for late elevenses at what looks like a beach from
Google Satellite about halfway along just here - before the S bend in
the river:

http://g.co/maps/h5x4c

Carry on to the our exit point at Kings Lock:

http://g.co/maps/u98h6

Where we can walk back along the tow path to the cars at the Trout and
have a spot of lunch, outside on the terrace in the glorious sunshine:

http://www.thetroutoxford.co.uk/

Do come along, bring a friend and make the most of the late summer.

Sef and Jeremy and the basking barbel of the crystal clear Thames

e-mail: Oxford at outdoorswimmingsociety.com
<mailto:Oxford at outdoorswimmingsociety.com>

/

/*OSS swim responsibility statement:*/

/By attending you confirm that you are a member of the OSS and have read
and accepted the OSS swim responsibility statement:/

/http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibility
<http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=swimming_tips&s=responsibility>/

/All swimmers swim at their own risk.
/