[OSS Oxon] Re OSSoxon events

Tim Bond tim.bond at keble.oxon.org
Wed Jan 12 19:29:07 GMT 2011

Hi Claire,

I think you meant to send this to the list, so I'll
follow up to the list.

I've kayaked and punted on the Cherwell past Hildas
so I don't see why one shouldn't swim there - as far
as I know it's perfectly standard navigable water.
We've swum from the Vicky Arms in Marston down to the
Marston cycle path past the Parks, which was
gorgeous, and you can do with bank access to public
footpaths both ends. I think it's very much in a
landowner's power to forbid swimming *from* the bank
but if you're already in the water and access it from
public footpaths I'm not sure what the laws say.
Generally nobody seems to mind.

After regular swimming in previous years I've been
scarce in the water in 2010 (due to combination of
various projects plus moving house) and just done a
few spur-of-the-moment swims with my girlfriend. Got
back this week from a great expedition to China and
hoping to swim more in 2011 as there's still lots of
Thames I've not seen.

The Thames is a bit chilly in the winter (definitely
wetsuit territory for me, though some tough it out in
a cossie) and there are some lovely stretches with
good access to the footpath most of the way along.
Port Meadow is one of my favourites, James is a
treasure trove of other good site info in the area :-)

As ever the trick seems to be to get enough
experience on easy sections that you can assess new
swims for yourself and figure out your own safety
levels - all about personal responsibility, really,
though lots of good advice on this list :-)

Weekend weather looks potentially fun - some good
opportunities for wild-weather swimming if the river
isn't bursting its banks.

Tim