[OSS Oxon] Cheating Thames swimmers

MARY GILL mary631 at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 20 20:40:57 BST 2011

According to my Thames map,

'Built in 1898, Shifford Lock is the youngest on the Thames. It is located at the eastern end of a tree-lined artificial cut which by-passes the loop of the river with its many tight meanders, now a peaceful backwater, near Duxford. Part of the back-water remains navigable by small craft to Duxford ford, the only surviving purpose-built ford on the river.'

However, I have walked along it from Duxford ford to the lock, and there are a number of trees fallen into the water, so I concluded swimming it would not be a good idea.

See you next week. I can only do Sunday. At this rate I'm going to have to do a lot of catching up swims, However, I am really enjoying those bits I'm able to do.

Mary
.