[gdpr-discuss] Git and the Right for Rectification

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri May 25 14:49:29 BST 2018

Walter van Holst writes ("Re: [gdpr-discuss] Git and the Right for Rectification"):
> On 2018-05-25 12:03, Ian Jackson wrote:
> >  * Routinely accede to requests to pseudonymise contributions,
> >    by adding to the mailmap something like
> >     <hash of name and email>   Past contributor #332
>
> I would advise against doing so unless the author requests it.

By "requests" I meant "requests from the author", obviously.

> The right of correction only comes into play when the data really is
> inaccurate and I would stick to the proposed solution of using mailmaps.

I don't understand how you could think that I am not proposing to use
mailmaps when I said "adding to the mailmap".

> This is not a good use case for pseudonymisation.

If a past contributor requests that their contributions be
anonymised, that should clearly be done.  Do you disagree ?

If it is done, it will still be necessary to distinguish contributions
by different now-anonymous people.  Hence, pseudonymisation.

ian.

--
Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.