[gdpr-discuss] Git and the Right for Rectification

Walter van Holst walter.van.holst at xs4all.nl
Fri May 25 12:59:34 BST 2018

On 2018-05-25 12:03, Ian Jackson wrote:
>  * Routinely accede to requests to pseudonymise contributions,
>    by adding to the mailmap something like
>     <hash of name and email>   Past contributor #332

I would advise against doing so unless the author requests it. In quite
a few jurisdictions the removal of an author's name from any copyright
notice counts as a copyright infringement in itself.

Which gets us to the main basis for processing this personal data: it
ticks the boxes for a) execution of a contract (a license is a contract
is most civil law jurisdictions), b) a legal obligation (copyright law
does not allow for removal of author indications) and c) a legitimate
interest in maintaining records of the provenance of the code insofar
not covered by a) and b).

The right of correction only comes into play when the data really is
inaccurate and I would stick to the proposed solution of using mailmaps.

This is not a good use case for pseudonymisation.

Regards,

  Walter