[gdpr-discuss] Git and the Right for Rectification

gdpr at sheogorath.shivering-isles.com gdpr at sheogorath.shivering-isles.com
Mon May 21 21:12:49 BST 2018

On 05/21/2018 06:22 PM, Jonas Wielicki wrote:
> On Montag, 21. Mai 2018 17:57:42 CEST Winfried Tilanus wrote:
>> Git has the pressing need of
>> maintaining code integrity and traceability. The final decision will be
>> up to a judge, but my bets are on the need of maintaining the code.
>> Something similar will be the case with Bugzilla.
>
> So I was wondering about Git and the Right for Rectification. In
contrast to
> the Right to be Forgotten, the Right for Rectification, does not have any
> exceptions I am aware of.
>
> Now what if somebody commits code to a Git repository (so the commit
includes
> their name and email address) and they change for example email
addresses. In
> that case, from my understanding, the Right for Rectification would
trigger
> and the controller of the Git repository may be forced to rectify the
> information.
>
> This would require re-writing all history since that commit, which is
a huge
> issue.
>
> One argument against that which I heard that:
>
> - The email address was valid at the time the commit was made and is
thus an
> accurate representation of the history at the time the commit was made
(which
> is timestamped) and thus doesn’t need to be rectified.
>
> - It is expected that the user would provide accurate information and
if they,
> for example, have a typo in e.g. their name in the commit metadata, it
is kind
> of their fault and this does not need to be corrected.

Well, whose fault is is doesn't really matter to the GDPR.

But no matter what, for git repositories, the solution is as easy as
old: mailmaps.

If someone wants to correct their mail address, just add a .mailmap file.

For details check: https://www.git-scm.com/docs/git-check-mailmap

I think this should be enough on top of HEAD

--
Signed
Sheogorath