[E3-hacking] Any more chances for E3 working as IP phone?

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Wed May 13 09:24:22 BST 2009

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 10:05:36PM +0200, Janusz Krzysztofik wrote:

> I have bought E3 recently in hope I could use it as IP phone, or even
> POTS phone with extra newtworking features. I alread have asterisk
> running on it, controled from keypad via lirc, with led provided
> visual feedback. Two parts are missing: working sound driver for
> handset/speakerphone and input driver for hook switch. It looks like
> most develompents have ceased about 2 years ago, but I have some
> questions if you are still there.

I've actually compiled up a kernel more recently than that to check it
still built ok, but haven't done anything much with the E3 recently.

> Questions to Jonathan McDowell, maybe others:
> 1. Did you succeed in talking to the handset over the modem chip in full
> duplex?

No. I did wonder if boosting the speed to 230.4k rather than just 115.2k
might help.

> 2. Did you try to create a driver for hook switch hanging off GPIO
> input 4, as Matt Callow detected it once? If not, what hints could you
> give me for creating one?

I had this hooked up to the OMAP gpio switch framework, but I found it
conflicted with the FIQ keyboard patch and caused crashes. Possibly the
gpio-keys driver is the way to do this these days?

> 3. As googling did not give me any answer, where can I find any info
> on Q;Q; block format?

If you limit Google to the list archives you should have more luck.

> More questions:
> 1. Has anyone managed to boot a kernel built from Amstrad provided sources
> (linux-2.4.18-mv30-E3.tar.bz2)?

I haven't.

> 2. What is the format of a copy of the kernel taken from the device
> (kernel2.4.18_mvl30-ams-delta)? Has anyone managed to boot it with
> u-boot or other open source loader?

I didn't really investigate it. 2.4 doesn't interest me.

> 3. Has anyone managed to make any use of flash image backups, for
> example, for examining filesystem contents?

Yes, you can dump the contents but I don't recall anything of real
interest there.

J.

--
Do you believe in happy endings?
This .sig brought to you by the letter S and the number  3