[E3-hacking] E2 hackery & coding

Matt Evans matt at axio.ms
Sun Nov 9 19:37:25 GMT 2008

On 8 Nov 2008, at 19:20, Dave Mills wrote:

> David Given wrote:
>> Dave Mills wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I've been given an E2, it has never been connected to the 'phone
>>> line,
>>> so is still running factory fresh software. Has anyone managed to
>>> get
>>> their own code running on one of these beasts? Any pointers on
>>> where to
>>> start?
>>
>> Yes, it's actually fairly straightforward, provided you have the
>> special
>> cable. I have some information here:
>>
>> http://www.cowlark.com/amstrad/index.html
>>
>> Once you have the cable, you can use pblq to upload code via the
>> serial
>> cable or to reflash it.
> Great stuff. I'd looked at your software before, but wasn't exactly
> sure
> it would let
> you up upload code and execute it, I thought it was just to upload &
> download to the
> Emailer.

I hacked a quick bootloader/monitor for the E2 which you can reflash
in using pblq; it's a little more convenient/quicker as it just
supports XMODEM from the serial terminal, and will boot Other Stuff
out of flash.  List archives should have a bunch of waffle about it if
you're interested, search for "e2-monitor".

Never did get round to finishing the OS, or the uclinux port... (It's
too painful to keep downloading dev kernels at 11k/s, I embarked on
getting the e2-monitor to boot from MMC but that too got
sidetracked... :D )

Cheers,

Matt