[E3-hacking] PBL V5.1

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at e3.open.source.it
Tue Oct 9 12:17:16 BST 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007 09:34, Cliff Lawson wrote:

> Ralph,
>
> Well if you want it I'll happily supply you the source of the program I use
> to sign the images but what I won't supply you are the keys so I'm not sure
> exactly what you would gain from it. I've already read messages here that
> have identified the standard algorithms I'm using and there's open source
> for them all over the internet - it's no secret (but my keys are!)

Doesn't this go against both the spirit and the letter of
http://gpl-violations.org/faq/sourcecode-faq.html which says:

"Always keep in mind that it is the purpose of the GPL to enable the users to
exercise his freedoms. Specifically, the freedom to make modified versions of
the program, and to run such modified versions of the program."

and

"Please note that this is of special practical importance in the case of
embedded devices, since the executable program(s) need to be somehow
installed onto the device. If the user is not given a way to install his own
(modified) versions of the program, he has no way of exercising his freedom
to run modified versions of the program."

Antony

--
I don't know, maybe if we all waited then cosmic rays would write all our
software for us. Of course it might take a while.

 - Ron Minnich, Los Alamos National Laboratory

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.