[E3-hacking] Newbie networking problems

Don Alexander e3-dev at roosoft.ltd.uk
Tue Apr 24 14:20:21 BST 2007

Andy Collins wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've just received my first E3 and I'm cramming up on the info trying
> to get going.
>
> I've followed the info in the wiki about getting started and I get
> boot it up over the serial port now without a problem.
>
> My next milestone is to get t nrtworking and this is where I'm coming
> adrift. I've got a USB-ethernet adapter that is based on the ADM8515
> chipset. When I plug it in I see...
>
> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using ohci and address 3
> usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>
> and that's all. I think that the driver for the Pegasus will work with
> this chipset (though I may be wrong).
>
> dmesg gives me the following with regard to networking...
>
> usbcore: registered new driver catc
> drivers/usb/net/catc.c: v2.8 CATC EL1210A NetMate USB Ethernet driver
> usbcore: registered new driver kaweth
> pegasus: v0.6.13 (2005/11/13), Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver
> usbcore: registered new driver pegasus
> drivers/usb/net/rtl8150.c: rtl8150 based usb-ethernet driver v0.6.2
> (2004/08/27)
> usbcore: registered new driver rtl8150
>

> So that's as far as I've got. I can't see /dev/eth0, which I would
> expect. ifconfig just shows my loopback device (should it show more?)

Umm never seen a /dev/ethx device ever so I think you assumption is
wrong  there ;) have you tried ifconfig -a ? If that says the device is
not found it means /proc/sys/net does not contain a device (ethx , usbx
, rausbx etc)

If it comes up with a valid interface then configure it by hand and see
if it works.

ifconfig ethx <ip-address>

Don't forget to set up a route to your gateway either ,

route add default gw <gw-ip-add>

Let us know how you get on.

--
==