[E3-Hacking] V2 release - Handling bad NAND blocks

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Mon Oct 2 20:13:36 BST 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 11:27:34AM +0100, Matt Callow wrote:
> I thought I'd give the release a try (up to now I've always copied the
> kernel over serial and used nfs root) but it appears that I have some
> bad blocks in the NAND on my device:
> Is it possible to move ldr further down in /dev/mtd3 ? I tried this using
>
> dd if=/media/sda1/ldr.img of=/dev/mtdblock3 bs=16384 seek=3
>
> that seemed to write OK, but the e3 wont boot of the nand yet. I get an
> error about missing kernel params, which repeats continuously.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?

Moving !LDR should work fine, but if you're getting an error about
missing params then you still haven't wiped the old Amstrad LDR. ISTR
that PBL will do remapping in the NAND using the area that ends up as
mtd5 (last 192k of NAND), so it might be worth trying to erase that area
of NAND and see if that causes your !LDR image to be seen instead?

J.

--
Black Cat Networks Ltd. - UK Domain, Web and Email hosting.
If I follow you home, will you keep me?
Email: sales at blackcatnetworks.co.uk
Web:   http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/