[E3-hacking] Trying to load u-boot from NAND.

Mark Underwood basicmark at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 21:13:19 BST 2006

--- Jonathan McDowell <noodles at earth.li> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 04:19:14PM +0100, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 10:53:19PM +0100, David Given wrote:
> > > Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > Hurrah! This is great news; it means that sometime soon I should
> > > finally be able to get rid of the serial cable...
> > Unfortunately I'm now stuck at the point where I can turn on the E3,
> > have PBL load !LDR from NAND, !LDR load u-boot from NAND, u-boot load
> > the kernel from NAND, the kernel does its uncompression, then hangs.
> > Whereas if I load the same !LDR image to PBL over the serial port
> > what PBL twiddles when loading something from NAND that's breaking it
> > all.
>
> Er, and now bizarrely I find that disabling CONFIG_DEBUG_MUTEXES means
> it boots, which just seems wrong.

Very strange, how on earth did you find out that disabling CONFIG_DEBUG_MUTEXES made it work? Well
done on getting it to boot.

> This means I now have an E3 that will boot (albeit slowly) without
> having to be fed anything over the serial port. I'll try and get a
> tarball of bits and instructions together this week so some other brave
> soul can try and let us know if it works for them too. :)

Once I have rebuilt my E3 I'll do that!

> What's everyone else working on at present and how's it going?

Not much. Last thing I was working was the sound. I would really like to get the mixer working
properly (well at all!). I tried building the sound driver as a module and running the commands
that put the modem into speaker phone mode and then install the sound driver, but it still comes
out the handset and I can't find a data sheet for the Voice Codec :-/. If anyone else has time
could they try the same trick (build sound driver a module, put modem into speaker phone mode,
install sound driver) and let me know if it works for them, or any other idea's for getting this
to work (Cliff :-))

> J.

Mark