[E3-hacking] Mass storage on the E3

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue Mar 21 20:20:17 GMT 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:07:47PM +0000, jasmine at electronpusher.org wrote:

> OMAPs pre-OMAP2420 suck at X font rendering, universally, though I agree
> that on small screens they're not quite as bad.  As for the E3, the very
> slow screen makes mouse pointers really, really unpleasant to use.

Right, the quality of the screen is a serious problem. Nokia have
managed to run X respectably on the 770, which is based on the 1710 -
admittedly it's got twice as much RAM and a few more MHz than the E3,
but still.

> Also, X uses far too much RAM, and X applications tend to use too much
> floating point maths (ie., any at all) for the 925 to perform adequately.
> On top of that, there's the appalling memcpy() performance of ARM9 cores
> to consider.

I've happily run X on ARM9 devices with 32MB of RAM in the past, but
it's certainly not something that I'd expect a generic distribution to
be good at.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org