[E3-hacking] Mass storage on the E3

jasmine at electronpusher.org jasmine at electronpusher.org
Tue Mar 21 20:07:47 GMT 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> While I'd agree that the hardware isn't really up to running GNOME,
> there's omap hardware out there that's running X11 on unaccelerated
> framebuffers without too much misery. What's the issue with it on the
> E3?

OMAPs pre-OMAP2420 suck at X font rendering, universally, though I agree
that on small screens they're not quite as bad.  As for the E3, the very
slow screen makes mouse pointers really, really unpleasant to use.

Also, X uses far too much RAM, and X applications tend to use too much
floating point maths (ie., any at all) for the 925 to perform adequately.
On top of that, there's the appalling memcpy() performance of ARM9 cores
to consider.

-J.