[E3-hacking] sound?!

Cliff Lawson clawson at amstrad.com
Thu Mar 2 17:51:53 GMT 2006

Jonathan,

Spot on as always. The two ways to make noise are to either play one of 48
fixed "notes" from the PWT or to stream PCM to the modem codec (after
switching it to take control rather than allowing the modem to control it)
which is the way we play polyphonic ringtones, Spectrum 128 sound and audio
on MPEG adverts. But to do this requires code running on the C55x DSP as
only it mcbsp2 (think it's 2, maybe 1 though!) is connected to the codec
chip and that mcbsp is a DSP "private" device and can't be programmed from
the ARM side of the OMAP.

For Linux use I'm therefore gonna suggest that you are probably limited to
PWT and your choice of the 12 notes in each of four octaves.

Cliff

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended exclusively for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. This message is attributed to the sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Amstrad Plc or its subsidiaries.

For further information on Amstrad Plc please visit our website: www.amstrad.com

Amstrad Plc.
Brentwood House
169 Kings Road