[E3-hacking] Another booting E3 here

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Thu Mar 2 16:23:52 GMT 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 04:18:14PM +0000, M P wrote:
> My V4 E3 boots using Mark's tools. There were a few issues when building :
>
> + The buildroot "snapshots" fails to build, you need to explicitely
> tell it not to use snapshots of uLibc and busybox. After than you
> still will get a hanging boot until you fix the inittab
> + u-boot "examples" fails to build here, and break the build; I
> commented them from the Makefile and had to make clean && make to get
> a working u-boot.bin
> + The kernel config & patch as provided in the "v1" file works,
> however the delta-20060227.diff generates a kernel that hangs just
> after decompression here, no way to make it work...

You need to patch u-boot to pass the right machine id if you've applied
my delta-20060227.diff

Find the bit in board/E3/E3.c where it says "gd->bd->bi_arch_number ="
and change the number after the =s to 862.

> Looking forward to get that LCD + Console working :D

I'm trying to clean up my patch set and release an updated ready to go
tarball that has this all sorted. Probably during the weekend.

> Would it be easy to get the rootfs, u-boot and kernel in the flash ?
> we are fairly close to have a system that could be used to test stuff
> from a nfs partition or a usb flash drive; it would save a lot of
> time...

I have rootfs in flash at present. kernel in flash requires adding
u-boot support for the flash, which probably isn't too hard. Getting
u-boot into flash is trickier, but would be lovely. I'd hoped we could
wrap it up in a LDR block so PBL would boot it, but I've found that
writing my rootfs to the second 16MB of flash has stopped PBL completing
a boot; it does its scan through the flash and stops onces it gets to
the jffs2 bit.

I'm not sure if I can trick PBL into ignoring this, or if it's going to
require replacing/patching PBL - I'd really rather not do this as if it
goes wrong there's no easy way to fix it.

J.

--
Just 'cause I remembered one thing doesn't make me smart!