[E3-hacking] sound?!

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Thu Mar 2 12:47:11 GMT 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 08:59:52AM +0000, Mark Underwood wrote:
> The other news is that I have built all the sound stuff ok and I think
> it is working as the DMA interrupts go up, but all I have done so far
> is to 'cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp' which makes some difference to the
> noise, but as the unit is always generating noise I don't know if it
> is playing my noise or its normal noise! I will hopefully have time to
> test it with mpeg321 tonight. If it doesn't work then I guess there is
> a bit in the latch that I need to set to switch on the output amp.

Er, what sound stuff have you built?

AFAICT the E3 has the PWT tone generator built into the 5910, which is
what ams_beep_mod.o talks to.

The only other option I can see for talking to the handset/speaker/mic
is via the modem codec.

I can't see anything else audio related on the 5910 block diagram, and
didn't see anything that was obviously an audio codec when I
disassembled the E3. What have I missed?

J.

--
Web [    101 things you can't have too much of : 43 - Penguins.    ]
site: http:// [                                          ]       Made by