[E3-hacking] Another hello

Andy andy at entropy.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 20:21:26 GMT 2006

Hi Guys,

I've just joined this email list and have noticed some confusion from
people on the E3's EXP serial port and getting an output from. There is
confusing information out there on if  RS232 line drivers are needed, or
not.. With the aid of an old scope I _think_ I now know what is going on
and why some say no line driver is needed, but others say you do...

The short answer is what comes out is inverted,  like RS232, but is not
at valid RS232 voltage levels as it never swings negative. Some PCs
might let you get away with this, many wont. Being already inverted
connecting this to typical RS232 line driver chip then re-inverts the
signal and that wont work either.

I've thrown together a webpage on this here and my quick bodge solution.

    http://www.cambridgewargames.org.uk/members/andy/emailer/

I'll flesh this out a bit more when I get a chance.

Does anyone know of any good sites for "beginers" on hacking the E3
emailer? I've mostly been using these two sites that are easy to find on
google:

   http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/emailer/
   http://www.earth.li/~noodles/hardware-e3.html

But neither seems to help a relative "newbie" like me to get going quickly.

    Best regards,

          Andy M