[E3-hacking] Another hello

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue Jan 17 23:42:52 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 22:48, mark wrote:
[...]
> I checked the serial port wiring, and thats Ok.
>
> Could it be because I've not registered the phone yet?

Huh... been there, done that, spent *ages* figuring it out. The main crux of
the matter is: it's *not* a serial port! To be accurate, it's a serial port
without the RS232 line level converter, which means it generates 0V/5V
instead of -12V/+12V. This means that your PC serial port will not recognise
it.

There are a number of solutions. I built a line level converter based on a
MAX232 chip on a piece of breadboard. Some people have bought a USB serial
port and hacked it. I have, in the works, a mobile phone cable that ought to
just need chopping the plug off and replacing it with a jack to work --- that
would be most convenient, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Check out the websites for more information. The mailing list archives will
let you read up on my saga with the breadboard (my hardware skills are not
great).

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Is Eris true?" "Everthing is true." "Even false
+- www.cowlark.com --+ _Prinicipa Discordia_