[E3-hacking] External keyboard (mailboard) support for 2.6

Matt Callow mc-lists at tesco.net
Tue Apr 4 12:56:53 BST 2006

I've been working on this for a while now, but I still cant get it to
work reliably.  I have tried installing a interrupt handler and using
code based on serio/parkbd.c. This tries to read 1 bit every interrupt
and doesn't work very well.I've also tried polling the entire bitstream
after the first interrupt, this works better, but still gives false
data. If I press a key (e.g. space), I expect to get:

0x4b  // scancode for space
0xf0  // key released
0x4b // scancode for space

But I hardly every get the 2nd 0x4b, and I don't always get the first 2
bytes correctly either. I think this is because I am missing some bits
due to the interrupt processing latency. Cliff Lawson said in an earlier
post that the bit stream is clocked at about 70kHz and apparently the
5910 can only handle about 13k ints/second on linux.

Cliff said that Amstrad used a FIQ handler to read the keyboard in the
2.4 kernel source. There does not seem to he a FIQ handler for omap in
the 2.6 kernel but we do have most of the amstrad code available under
GPL. (it's in arch/arm/kernel/fiq-qwerty.S and arch/arm/kernel/irq.c).
As far as I can tell, this works as follows:

 * fiq handler is installed
 * gpio interrupt is changed to be a fiq
 * fiq handler is invoked when a gpio interrupt is raised (in the E3
this may be either modem of mailboard)
 * If it's a modem interrupt, pass is on (more of that later)
 * If it's a mailboard interrupt, process the next bit in the bitstream,
once a full character is recived, pass it on

The fiq handler passes requests to irq context by faking a 32kHz
interrupt (this means that the 32kHz timer interrupt cannot be used for
it's orginal purpose). The 32kHz interrupt handler then reads some
shared memory to determine which gpio interrupt(s) occured and invokes
the appropriate handler.

The end result is that a modem interrupt generates one fiq and one irq,
whilst a mailboard interrupt generates one fiq for every bit in the
keyboard data but an irq is only generated when a character has been
recieved.

There is also some code (in irq.c) to check if the fiq handler is stuck,
and inject a gpio interrupt if it is.

So, I'm begining to think that I'll need to re-implement most of this to
get the mailboard to work. What do other people think? It looks like
it's going to be a fair bit of work, but, I don't really see any other
way of sucessfully capturing the serial keyboard data.

Matt