[E3-hacking] Re: [E2 hacking] E2 monitor v0.24 ;)

Matt Evans matt at axio.ms
Fri May 27 11:44:13 BST 2005

Hi Adam,

On 27 May 2005, at 08:02, Adam Coventry wrote:
> I had assumed the rapid light flashing was driven by
> an active pbl and that the absence of those lights
> meant that I had somehow trashed pbl.  I assume what
> actually happens is that the lights flash as pbl scans
> the NAND for headers.  Since the monitor was loaded
> into address 0 and did not chain other blocks there
> was no searching to do and therefore no reassuring
> light show.

Ah yes, I think that's what happens.  (Or, it's flashing when it's
currently does flash but only once, really quickly, so you don't see it
or something... my E2 is out of the case so I don't have LEDs wired
up.)

> I _did_ manage to interrupt my (failed?) monitor
> program with pblq and reloaded a 57600 version (to
> overcome my flaky serial).  Now I am presented with a
> proper monitor prompt, and all is well!

Good stuff!  I forgot to upload the other night, but there's a new
version of the monitor that you may find more useful:

http://www.axio.ms/projects/e2/e2-monitor-0.24-README
..contained in..
http://www.axio.ms/projects/e2/e2-monitor-0.24.tgz

This version boots other stuff from flash (so is actually useful (he
says - my biggest test program so far splats a big image on the
screen...)).  The XMODEM stuff should be slightly more
resilient/well-behaved but still isn't perfect.

Cheers,

Matt